Having high porosity hair is no joke. Your hair can get dry and frizzy no matter how much you moisturize it. Maybe it’s damaged from heat or bleach, or maybe your hair is just like that. Is there anything you can do about it? Incorporating creams for high porosity hair during your moisturizing routine is a great way to deal with the dryness and frizz.
Here are our top three picks for the best creams for high porosity hair, based on user experience:
- Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
- As I Am Double Butter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
- Naturalicious Moisture Infusion Styling Creme
Best Creams For High Porosity Hair – Comparison Table
|Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream||.100% vegetarian
.Keeps hair moisturized for days
.Reduces hair breakage
.Promotes hair growth
|As I Am Cream||.Locks in moisture
.Repairs split ends
.Blends with the other styling products
.Doesn’t leave residue
|Naturalicious Styling Creme||.Acts as a heat protectant
.Perfect for curly hair
.Stops split ends, brittleness & breakage
.Not too heavy
|Shea Moisture Transitioning Milk||.Can be used as a leave-in conditioner, styling cream or a DIY deep conditioner
.Promotes hair elasticity
.Leaves hair soft and manageable
|Curls Whipped Curl Cream||.Defines curls
.Doesn't weigh down hair
.Great in moisturizing
|Carol's Daughter Restorative Cream||.Deeply nourishes hair
.Protects hair from damage
.Quickly absorbed into the hair
.Works on both wet or dry hair
|TGIN Butter Cream||.Moisturizes high porosity hair
.Perfect for thick hair
.A little goes a long way
|Qhemet Biologics Hydrating Balm||.Very moisturizing
.Leaves hair soft, shiny and manageable
.Can be used on relaxed hair
What Is Hair Porosity?
Hair porosity is the ability of your hair to absorb and retain moisture.
There are three types of hair porosity: low, normal and high porosity.
High porosity hair lets in too much moisture, leaving the hair prone to frizzing during humid weather.
It can be either genetic or caused by damage from relaxers, heat, color or bleach.
Taking care of high porosity hair can be very stressful especially if you do not have the right products.
Even if you have the right products, you have to be able to do it the right way.
Proper moisturizing of high porosity hair can be done through the LOC method.
This entails hydrating your hair by layering products in the following order: Start by using a liquid (L) such as water or a water-based product like a moisturizing leave-in conditioner.
Follow this with an oil (O) that helps to seal in the moisture, and finally apply a cream (C) to close the hair cuticle and avoid loss of moisture.
Outstanding Creams For High Porosity Hair
The following is a detailed review of some of the creams that are suitable for high porosity hair.
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
This cream is so rich in moisture that it can soften the thickest and driest hair. It keeps high porosity hair soft for days.
If you think your hair is too stubborn and nothing works for it, I’d suggest you try the Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream.
According to the manufacturer, this cream is a favorite among high porosity, type 4C hair naturals.
It hydrates and softens curls, pony puffs, afros, coils, twists, and braids.
The cream contains ingredients that nourish the scalp and strengthen hair, as well as nurturing follicles to encourage hair growth.
The blend of olive and castor oils, organic herbs and natural humectants softens high porosity hair that is coarse, dry and brittle.
Apart from being used as a moisturizer, it can be used as a conditioner, overnight treatment, and styler.
This product is vegan and is free from parabens, silicones, proteins, dyes, mineral oil and artificial fragrances.
- It keeps your curls moisturized for days
- Soothes and nourishes your scalp
- It adequately moisturizes the hair
- Softens your hair strands from the roots
- It reduces hair breakage
- A little goes a long way
- Eliminates frizz
- Makes hair manageable
- It promotes hair growth
- The cream is heavy and might weigh down some hair types
As I Am Double Butter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
This product provides dehydrated hair with the much-needed ingredients for it to look great.
It locks in moisture and leaves your mane soft and shiny.
The cream – which can be used as a daily moisturizer – also repairs split ends.
It contains a rich blend of natural kinds of butter and oils such as cocoa butter, shea butter, castor oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, sugar beetroot, and other outstanding natural moisturizers.
This product also has Pro-vitamin B5 (known as Panthenol) which is a very good ingredient for moisturizing hair.
- It helps in moisture retention
- Perfect for curly hair
- Great for extra dry hair
- A good cream to incorporate in the LOC method
- Leaves hair soft, shiny and well defined
- Eliminates frizz
- Detangles the hair strands
- Blends well with other styling products
- Doesn’t leave residue on the hair
- The cream is quite thick and has a heavy feel
Naturalicious Moisture Infusion Styling Creme
This product from Naturalicious works as a moisturizer, styling cream and heat protectant.
Its ingredients include glycerin, shea butter, and beeswax that helps protect the hair from heat damage caused by heat styling appliances.
The combination of coconut oil, sunflower oil, and Vitamin E helps to condition and moisturize your tresses.
This cream helps in eradicating brittleness, breakage, split ends and excessive shedding.
It also has a soft hold formula that defines your styles without being hard.
- It combines as a heat protector, moisturizer and styling cream
- Leaves your hair soft and thoroughly moisturized
- Gives the hair great hold and minimal shrink
- It’s not too heavy or greasy
- Works as a good cream for the LOC method
- It works well for hair with tight curls and coils
- Tames frizz
- Contains natural ingredients only
- It takes a lot of product to keep thick hair moisturized
- One of the ingredients is dimethicone, which is a silicone-based product. (Well, to be fair, most heat protectants contain silicones which are used due to their resistance to high temperatures)
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk
This product is designed to help restore moisture to dry and damaged hair.
It’s perfect for hair that has become overly porous as a result of chemical or heat damage.
This hair milk promotes healthy hair growth while transitioning from chemically-treated hair to natural hair.
The raw shea butter contained in this product smoothes the hair and restores its brilliant shine and stronghold.
This makes it perfect for daily use.
Its ingredients make the transitioning process quite a seamless process, and there are no worries about further damage, breakage or split ends.
- Has multi-purpose usage – can be used as a leave-in conditioner, styling cream or a DIY deep conditioner
- Doesn’t weigh the hair down
- It’s a great moisturizing product for transitioning hair
- Can be used beyond the transitioning phase
- It’s good for detangling and easying knots
- Good for styling twist outs
- Leaves hair soft and manageable
- Helps to control frizz
- Can be a bit heavy for fine hair when too much of it is used
Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream
This cream is used to curl or sculpt wavy, curly and frizzy hair.
It is made up of organic ingredients such as glycerin, shea butter, sweet almond oil, sunflower oil, and soybean oil.
The product helps in refreshing and rehydrating the hair from the roots to the tips.
It has a great smell and the ingredients give your hair a natural smell.
The cream is recommended for curly hair because it helps in defining and smoothing the curls.
- Doesn’t weigh hair down
- Defines and smooths curls
- Helps in eliminating frizz
- Adds shines and body to the locks
- Doesn’t make hair sticky and matted
- It’s water-based, therefore leaves hair thoroughly hydrated
- Perfect for color-treated hair
- May be too heavy for fine or thin hair
Carol’s Daughter Marguerite’s Magic Restorative Cream
This product is a rich creamy blend of cocoa butter and shea butter and acts as an intense conditioning cream.
The cocoa butter acts as an excellent moisturizer combined with antioxidant properties that protect and nourish your tresses.
On the other hand, the shea butter helps to moisturize dry and damaged hair.
It also protects the hair against dryness, brittleness, and damage caused by the weather or the environment.
This product is also enriched with other ingredients such as soy oil, sweet almond oil, and vitamins.
The cream strengthens the locks, promotes hair growth and adds shine to your crown.
This cream doesn’t contain parabens, petroleum, mineral oil, silicones or artificial colors
- Helps to reduce breakage by strengthening the hair strands
- Works for high porosity, thick or coarse hair types
- Leaves hair soft and well-moisturized
- Quickly absorbed into the hair
- Perfect for use on braid outs and twist outs
- Restores luster to dull hair
- It is not greasy or oily when applied to the hair
- Works well with other products
- It works on both wet or dry hair
- Helps to tame frizz
- Has a thick consistency
- The smell is not appealing to some users
TGIN Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer For Natural Hair
This buttercream daily moisturizer is enriched with Shea butter, cocoa butter, and vitamin E.
It can be used as a setting cream for two-strand twists, as well as twist outs.
The cream also improves the manageability of hair and reduces frizz and flyaways.
This product promotes healthy hair growth, improves shine, and leaves your locks very soft.
The daily moisturizing cream doesn’t contain parabens, petrolatum, lanolin, artificial colors and neither does it undergo animal testing.
This product gives maximum definition to curls and also keeps your hair moisturized throughout the week.
In case you are wondering about this “buttercream”, I’ve previously written about the differences between creams and butters.
Please check out that article.
- Good for products for the LOC method
- Works for thick hair types
- Maintains definition for a long time after doing twist outs
- Softens and moisturizes high porosity hair
- A little goes a long way
- Might feel gummy on thin hair due to its thick consistency
- It might not work well with other creams and styling products
Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
This balm is an all-natural substance formulated with olive oil, grapeseed oil, and pure wildflower honey.
It hydrates and softens dry type 4 hair.
The product is ideal for dry, thick and afro-textured hair.
It is perfect for layering with other products to boost their moisture retention properties.
This product also contains vegetable glycerin which is a good humectant – it attracts moisture from the surrounding environment into the hair and retains it.
Therefore, glycerin works great as a moisturizer.
The balm uses the hydrating power of pure honey to effectively moisturize thick, dry kinks and coils.
Honey is a humectant that draws in water and works effectively to hydrate all types of hair.
This balm has a light citrus scent and is free from parabens, silicones, proteins, mineral oil, artificial fragrances, and dyes.
The product has a very thick consistency.
Therefore, for best results, you should rub a small amount of the balm between your palms and then work through either dry or damp hair from the roots to the tips.
- Works well with other products
- Perfect for curly and coily hair during winter
- It is a great sealant that locks in moisture
- A little can go a long way as it spreads evenly on wet hair
- Helps to tame frizz
- Is non-greasy and doesn’t weigh your hair down
- Leaves hair soft, shiny and manageable
- Can also be used on relaxed hair
- Might be too heavy on fine or thin hair if a lot of product is used
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
This Shea Moisture smoothie does wonders for your hair, especially high porosity hair.
It not only moisturizes the hair, but it also adds body and style to your mane.
It hydrates, defines curls and protects the hair from frizz.
This smoothie caters to the thick and curly hair type. It is enriched with silk protein and neem oil.
The smoothie provides a smooth and soft hold to the hair without a crunchy feel, thereby leaving your hair with bouncy, healthy-looking curls.
To top it all, it’s an all-natural styling crème (consisting of shea butter, coconut oil, hibiscus extract, silk protein, and neem oil) which strengthens the hair, reduces breakage and imparts amazing shine.
- It’s suitable for the thick hair types
- Works well with shea butter and other whipped cream products
- A little goes a long way
- It helps to control frizz
- Gives curly and coily hair some definition
- It can dry out your hair because it contains alcohol as one of the ingredients
- Can weigh down your hair if you use a lot of product
- The new formula might cause some skin sensitivity
Characteristics Of High Porosity Hair
Have you been wondering whether you have high porosity hair?
The following are a few indicators that might help you in determining whether you have high porosity hair or not:
Highly porous hair absorbs too much moisture but is unable to retain it.
If your hair tends to take in a lot of moisture within a short amount of time, you might be having high porosity hair.
Similarly, you could be having high porosity hair if your mane loses moisture as fast as it absorbs it.
Moisture in overly porous hair dries out quite fast.
Dull and lifeless hair
High porosity hair tends to look and feels dull, dry and lifeless.
Your hair is supposed to glow and look radiant, not dull.
Some people have naturally dull-looking hair and no matter what they do, it just doesn’t look as sharp as they want it to.
There is a high possibility that kind of hair is highly porous.
Some products have been formulated to help people with dull and lifeless hair, which in some cases could be as a result of heat or chemical damage.
Dry, tangled hair
High porosity hair dries quickly and the strands tangle easily because the cuticles get caught on each other.
When overly porous hair gets too dry, it tends to tangle easily.
It also tends to be frizzy.
If your hair has more than one of the characteristics listed above, then it could be high porosity hair.
For comparison purposes, I have also written another post looking at the characteristics of low porosity hair.
How To Take Care Of High Porosity Hair
Apart from using the creams for high porosity hair listed above, there are some other ways to take care of your overly porous hair:
This will do wonders for high porosity hair.
The protein ingredients in the egg restore and strengthens your hair cuticles.
You should, however, ensure that you do not do it often because too many egg washes can lead to protein overload, causing your hair to break.
Using aloe vera gel on high porosity hair helps to moisturize your hair and improve its look.
According to NDTV, aloe vera has a chemical make up similar to that of keratin.
This means that its nutrients deal with hair stretchiness and preventing breakage.
If you cannot get the raw aloe vera, you can buy a product that contains it.
Deep conditioning high porosity hair is another way of improving it.
This important procedure helps in restoring and healing damaged hair cuticles.
However, it is important to use the right deep conditioner because our hair porosity determines the type of deep conditioner we should go for.
A protein-based conditioner is recommended for hair with excessive porosity.
Drying hair with a T-shirt
Ordinary towels have tough grooves that can break your hair strands during the drying process.
On the other hand, t-shirts are soft and do not have rough surfaces.
They also leave a little moisture on your hair after drying off the excess water.
As mentioned above, when high porosity hair gets too dry, it tends to tangle easily and become frizzy.
Drying it using a t-shirt instead of a towel will help in retaining some natural moisture and avoid breakage.
High porosity hair can make a lady lose her confidence especially when nothing seems to be working on the hair.
The creams for high porosity hair listed above, as well as the tips discussed here, can go a long way in helping this type of hair to retain moisture, strengthen the strands and improve the general health of your locks.
Recommended Post: Best Leave-In Conditioner For High Porosity Hair